It has been rumored for the past few weeks but never confirmed until now. Like it’s 3DS little brother, Mario Kart 8 will feature unlockable kart pieces for customizing your vehicle. Judging from a new presentation video, it appears that the overall customization for multiplayer racing is deeper as well, adding a category called “CPU vehicles” to the option menu. I am presuming this means we will be able to dictate what class of vehicles the CPU’s will be using in a multiplayer race but that’s just a guess based on the information revealed so far.
The aforementioned presentation video also gave us our first look at the UI of Mario Kart 8, also giving us a peak at customizable karts, character roster and cup selection screen. The secret characters are still a mystery but if you want to keep everything a surprise you’ll want to avoid looking at the info and screens below.
Here are the kart classes:
- Mario Kart 8 Karts – Standard Kart, Airship, Classical Cat, Bad Wagon, G-Force, Para-Bidybud, Pipe Frame, Princess Coach, Sneaker, Steel Diver, Superstar, Tri-Smash, Turbo One.
- Mario Kart 8 Bikes – Standard Bike, Broad Bean, Burning Bowl, Jet Rider, Mach GP, Maximum, Motor Dozer, Super Comet, Yoshi Bike.
- Mario Kart 8 ATVs – Standard ATV, Bean Rider, Wild Wiggler.
- Mario Kart 8 Tires – Standard Tires, Normal Blue, Ring Tires, Spicy Rings, Roller, Sky Rollers, Monster, Wild Hot, Sponge, Slick, Cyber Slick, Block Tires, Cream Blocks, Metal Tires, Wood Rings, Button Tires, Cushion Tires.
- Mario Kart 8 Gliders – Super Glider, Cloud Balloons, Flower Glider, Koopa Kite, MKTV Parafoil, Parachute, Para-glider, Peach Parasol, Sail Plane, Waddlewing Kite, Wario Glider.
You can get a better look at the kart pieces, characters and race selection screen below: