The first official screenings of the new 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot took place last night, including one surprise screening hosted by the VANS Warped Tour. Hell, one screening even featured Ernie Reyes Jr. aka Keno the ninja pizza-delivery boy from TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze!
Reactions are quickly being posted to twitter, Reddit, Facebook and popular forums like NeoGAF. Feedback has been mostly positive and we’ve also been learning some new details about the film as well:
- Classic turtles humor is fully intact, their chemistry being frequently mentioned as the strongest element of the movie.
- Fight scenes are well choreographed, action sequences are “the best of the summer” (of course we haven’t seen Guardians yet)
- No “Michael Bay cringe-worthy humor” based on sexist comments or crude bathroom humor, though their is one brief fart joke at the beginning of the movie (WHY?).
- Movie is less directed at people in their 30’s who grew up with the Turtles than the Nickelodeon series. It reintroduces them in a way that appeals to teenagers unfamiliar with the franchise.
- Michelangelo frequently hits on April but it’s “pretty innocent”.
- Megan Fox was a common complaint, she comes off as “vapid” and “uninterested”. Not many fans of her in the role…
- Karai is in the movie.
- “Human” time is mostly kept to a minimum. Turtles are the focus.
- Donatello fans will be happy.
- There is a scene involving George Michael’s Careless Whisper.
- Shredder’s storyline was “oversimplified” and “brief”.
- Will Arnett (Arrested Development) is “hilarious” and William Fichtner (Prison Break) “is badass”, though as the trailers suggest, he is not Shredder.
- Bottom line: movie is “exciting”, ” funny” and “well-paced”. Not a perfect film but “extremely respectful to the franchise”.
Finally, there is one major spoiler involving the end of the movie and a possible sequel. Ready? ….
MAJOR SPOILERS, HIGHLIGHT TO READ
After an intense and brutal fight with the turtles, Shredder is thrown from a sky-rise to his death. …though in his hand he is clutching a cannister of ooze, hinting at a future appearance of “Super Shredder”, much like TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze.